Tuesday, November 18, 2008

What's in a name?

Several years ago when I started writing I thought it would be neat to use a variation of my name that stood out. E. Russell Henninger. I still like the way it sounds. However, I've tried to carry that over into my acting, directing, and producing of short films. It has been confusing on a few occasions, even for me. In my auditions class the other day the gentleman conducting out "mock" auditions looks at my resume (which reads E. Russell Henninger) and says "What Russell did here..." And I'm standing on the stage looking around for this guy named Russell. Oh right, that's me! Everyone knows me by Eric. So even when I audition with E. Russell Henninger on my resume, these people get to know me and then bill me as Eric Henninger...posters, IMDB, credits, etc. The only time I've been billed in a short film as E. Russell is when I've produced and edited the film. Aside from my own projects, all the films and theatre productions that I've done have me billed as Eric. So, I thought, what about using E. Russell as my writing name and Eric for my acting and everything else name? Then I figured that could get confusing on a project where I wear more than one hat. For example the last film that Bald Brother's Studio Productions (that's my production company) completed I co-wrote, produced, executive produced, and acted in. This would be very confusing in the credits when they read "Written by: E. Russell Henninger...starring Eric Henninger." See what I mean? I consulted a couple of my most trusted friends on the subject. I honestly felt like a diva for even having to think about what name to use. They confirmed what I was leaning towards anyway...Eric. Worst case scenario...when I am able to become a member of SAG, if there is already an "Eric Henninger" then I can fall back onto E. Russell or maybe just Russell.
Anyway, now that you all know more than you needed to or wanted to know...I bid you adieu.

2 comments:

The Organic Nest said...

Chad and I said, that's such an Eric thing! "Where's this Russell he's talking about?" You are funny! We miss you, man! How's the fam? All our best, C&J

Lee-Anna said...

I found this blog rather funny, because in my mind, I can see you pondering this question. Just please do me a favor, please don't become like Beyonce with the whole Sascha Fierce thing. I like you just the way you are, Eric.