Friday, May 8, 2009

Just because

It's been a long time since I've done any sort of blogging, so I figured I'd take a few minutes and basically just ramble. For those of you that know me well and see me regularly, that'll come as no surprise.
So, what to blog about...I know! I saw two movies yesterday. X-Men Origins:Wolverine and Star Trek. I enjoyed both films. There were some things that I wish they had gone into more detail with in X-Men, but overall I found it fun to watch and very entertaining. I also learned (again) how hyper conservative www.pluggedinonline.com is with their reviews. I've found their sight to be a decent tool when trying to decided if I should take my kids to a certain movie or not, but over and over I'm seeing that there are some issues that they take and make into huge mountainous looking issues and then I see the film and am like, "What? Really? That's the 'sexuality?'" Based on the review of X-Men Origins my wife and I decided to preview it and found that the "sexuality" was actually very tame and had I not read the review previously I would have barely noticed it in the film. Very tasteful and non-offensive. I found it humorous since the review made it sound almost like "DON'T LET YOUR KIDS SEE THIS!" type thing.
You can check out the review that I'm referencing at:
http://www.pluggedinonline.com/movies/movies/a0004616.cfm



Star Trek. I got to see this one on opening night with some friends and had a great time. I'm not a Star Trek fan and have not followed the movies or the series or spin-offs (I've seen one or two of the films and now I have them all in my queue at Blockbuster Online) so I had no preconception of what to expect. I like J.J. Abrams, I like what he did with MI3, and I figured he'd do a good job with this. It was fantastic...a little heavy on the lens-flares, but still awesome. Fun, witty, entertaining, and from what I gathered, seemed to please many of the "Trekkies" in the audience. I will now go back and watch the old movies to further appreciate some of the humor. A friend of mine said that this new Star Trek movie "was everything 'The Phantom Menace' wished it could have been." I agree whole heartedly.
Just for fun...here's the review from the previously mentioned, pluggedinonline:
http://www.pluggedinonline.com/movies/movies/a0004627.cfm



Okay...what else? We had a good time a couple of weeks ago at the HighBrdige Film Festival where our film "The Love Doctor" won for best comedy. So, that was a good experience and we got to meet some neat people, including the president of Walden Media. Good times.
This summer I'll be working on finally getting our first short film, "Collide," edited and I'm excited about that. I'll be working as a production assistant (PA) on a larger independent film this summer and am looking forward to that. A good friend of mine and I will also be working on co-writing a script for Asbury that they will hopefully shoot in the spring and another friend of mine and I will be working on a script for a directed study that we will shoot in the fall.
Next spring I will be spending the semester in LA to complete my "Film Studies" degree and to do an internship which will hopefully turn into a job when I graduate. I'm excited about that as well. It'll be a bit of a rough time for the family as I will be gone for four months, but we all agree that it is only for a season and is what I'm supposed to be doing.
Anyway, not much else is coming to mind, so I'll end this pointless blog.

No comments: