Sunday, September 14, 2008

I'm such a softy!

We have cats. Three of them to be exact, which is about three too many. There good, actually, and the only reason we really have them is my fault. The kids wanted the first one..."Daddy, please can we have a kitten?" How do you say no? The other two we obtained because I saw them at the humane society and was like, "Aww...look at the little kittens..." So, we ended up with two more. Anyway, One of them lives outside because he kept peeing on the floor and one of the others likes to spend time outside and he likes to hunt. He brings us dead moles, mice, an occasional bird, and he brought a rat once. If he brings another rat we will, of course, call the city. I digress...last night I was standing outside talking to some friends of mine and Jack (the hunting cat) comes prancing into the yard with something rather large dangling from his mouth. I assume it's a rat. Jack drops it in the yard and the thing is still twitching and stuff. I move in for a closer look. It was a little baby bunny rabbit! Bunnies are cute and innocent. *warning-I'm going to be totally honest here* Now, I know that Jack is just doing what cats do, but it was a bunny! So I smacked him on the but and said "get away you little shit!" He ran off and my friends and I got a flashlight and examined it more closely. It was very much alive, but had some bite wounds. So I pick the thing up and bring it into the house. It was after midnight, but it wasn't long and everyone was up, worrying about the little bunny. We made some phone calls to vets, but no one answered, obviously. we wrapped it in a towel and placed it in a little cage we had and decided we'd see if it made it through the night. I fully expected to be burying a little bunny this morning. But, the thing's still alive! And it even drank some water! This morning we will call a vet and see if there is anything they can do for it. I'm so soft. I couldn't leave the little thing outside last night to die. I thought that if it was going to die it deserved to die warm and doted on.

1 comment:

K. Scofield said...

AWWWW- your are sooo sweet! This is actually a wonderful life lesson for the kids... good for you for being compassionate towards an animal.