Saturday, July 19, 2008

Dark Knight

"Dark Knight"
Directed by Christopher Nolan

Probably the most anticipated movie of the summer...the year. Heath Ledger's death only added to the movie's appeal. Had Ledger not passed away the film would still stand on the brink of breaking all kinds of records and would still be, in my opinion, on of the best films of the year and certainly the best (hands down) comic book movie ever. Yes, that's right. DC has set the bar several notches higher for the movie making machine known as Marvel Studios. While Iron Man was the best Marvel movie I've seen in years, it paled next to Nolan's Dark Knight.
Performances of an extraordinary level run throughout the film. Ledger's being the most noticeable larger due in fact to his current absence. Not to impugn his performance, because it was chilling and amazing. But, the others' can't be forgotten. Bale, Cain, Freeman, Eckhart, Oldman, and Gyllenhaal give great performances as well and compliment Ledger's beautiful portrayal of the Joker. Gyllenhaal, whom I like, is the only one playing a character from Batman Begins that was originally portrayed by another actress (Katie Holmes). I can't say too much without giving too much away and I certainly don't want to spoil the film. Suffice it to say that early reviews were calling the Dark Knight "The greatest superhero movie of all time" and "one of the greatest crime dramas...." I fully agree. Granted, I am a huge Batman fan, but that aside...Dark Knight is a fantastic film no matter how you look it. It is a piece of cinematic genius and beauty. Check it out. I promise it won't be a film that you easily forget about once you leave the theatre.
One last thought to leave you with...I still thought Michael Keaton made a great Batman/Bruce Wayne...Val Kilmer was okay, and Clooney was just a horrible choice. Christian Bale, however, is my favorite with no room for debate. Just so you know:-)

No comments: