Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Superhero Movie

"Superhero Movie"
Directed by Craig Mazin

I'm not a big fan of spoof movies. Well, let me clarify...I loved Spaceballs, Young Frankenstein, and Dracula: Dead and Loving it, but I usually shy away from things like "Scary Movie" or "Meet the Spartans." I think my reasoning has been that it seems like these movies are made by taking someone else's perfectly good ideas and then just making fun of it. I suppose that's the point exactly with a spoof, but I've always felt that that approach lacks a certain creativity. Although it requires a certain amount of its own too. I'm clearly conflicted. "Outrageously funny" as it was billed on the DVD cover may very well be the overstatement of the year. I did find myself chuckling from time to time but wasn't in pain from laughing so hard. Thankfully there were no penguin testicles or scenes of a penguin crapping on anyone's face (see "Meet the Spartans"). At any rate, while I did laugh a little, the best part of this film, for me, was that it was only 82 minutes long. Thank God!

No comments: