Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Jumbled thoughts

Let me warn you here, in the begining, that a lot of what I'm about to say may seem disjointed and random. Don't worry. It is. I've been a bit down lately. I fell like I went from knowing lots of people and a seemingly easy time making friends at BCTC to being the new guy that no one knows at Asbury. I like the classes and everything, but I don't seem to be able to connect with the people as well as I'd like to be. Also, I have this fear: I'm afraid that, regardless of my marital status, females will think I'm hitting on them if I'm friendly. Granted, I'm equally as friendly to males and I'm not afraid of the same thing. I guess I don't want people to think that I'm the "dirty old man" or anything like that. I know I'm not, but it's a fear nonetheless.
I thought about my time at BCTC and realized that I made few friends in a "normal" class room setting. There is one exception to that rule, but the people that I'm still good friends with now are people that I met and worked with in an acting class or a production. Film class was entirely different since we all had to work on projects together there was very little "every man for himself" mentality. I miss those film classes.
I also thought that perhaps the reason for not getting to know people as quickly (other than being the new kid) was that I didn't live on campus and thus miss out on social activities. You see, at BCTC no one lived on campus so performanced based classes or extra curricular activities were the only way to socialize.
Perhaps this becomes an argument too for the positive side of smoking. Many people in our film classes smoked and seldom did anyone smoke alone. If somone wasn't bumming a cigarette to join in, than someone was standing outside with the smoker anyway. What do you do while you stand and smoke? You talk. You get to know each other and develop friendships. The friends that I made in film class, the people I got to know during countless smoke breaks, will always be friends and will always be at the top of my list of people to call when I'm doing a film project. Since we're not in class together, and life, as they say, goes on, we don't see each other often. Phone calls and occasional visits keep us in touch and will future Academy award winning projects. My point is not that smoking is healthy and we'll have more friends if we do it, but there is something to that environment where we stand and talk and get to know one another.
Perhaps as the acting class I am in progresses and the school's spring film (which I got cast for-woot woot!) begins production I will become better acquainted with those I share a campus with. Until then, I'll just be a little sad.

1 comment:

K. Scofield said...

You are an amazingly friendly, talented individual. Give it a little bit Eric- and everyone will see the guy I grew up with. The guy that Lori fell in love with. Don't be sad- this is a new chapter of your life, and maybe there is something to learn here...