Thursday, February 21, 2008

30 Days of Night

"30 Days of Night"
Directed by David Slade

The only horror films that I really enjoy watching are Vampire films. There's some out there that aren't very good and others that are. I still enjoy them regardless and am, in fact, collaborating on a script concerning vampires.
30 Days of Night is one that I wanted to see in the theatres, but never got the chance to do so. So I had to wait for it to come out on DVD, which it does this coming Tuesday-February 26. One of the perks of being a Blockbuster employee is that I get to watch the new DVDs the week before they are released. I digress...
I couldn't wait to watch the movie. Like a lot of vampire films it didn't have the "B movie" feel. So right of the bat we're ahead of the curve. This is also a movie that falls solidly into the horror genre, and yet is not full of gratuitous nudity or sex. It can be done.
If you like vampires or like movies that are at least somewhat scary, then you've got to check this one out. If the premise (a town in Alaska where it is dark for 30 days, and vampires only come out when there's no sunlight) doesn't grab you as interesting and moderately unique, then the visuals will grab you. This film has a great look to it and while there is no gratuitous sex/nudity, there is plenty of gratuitous violence. But, honestly, it wouldn't have been right in this instance to have no violence. There were a couple times when I cringed and said "Oh, dear" out loud. I wan't tell you anymore...you'll just have to watch it for yourself.

1 comment:

K. Scofield said...

I have to agree with you fully- this movie was FANTASTIC. Not too harsh language, no nudity but lots of BAD Vampires... They rock!
I am a little frustrated with movies ending as this one did- but I guess movies are becoming to predictable, and they just have to well you know if you watched it... :)