Saturday, February 2, 2008

Across the Universe

"Across the Universe"
Directed by Julie Taymor

While I'm not a giant fan of
musicals (particularly when random dialogue is sung for no good reason), there have been a few as of late that I've enjoyed. Dreamgirls was the first one that I enjoyed, followed by Rent, and then Hairspray. Now, it's Across the Universe.
Taymor gives us a great looking film. It's funny, quirky, engaging, and sometimes down right strange, but it's all good.
Without a doubt this is a politically charged piece. It brought back to my mind some of the questions that I'd asked myself recently. For example, "Are we on the brink of another 'Vietnam' in Iraq?" I think it's beginning to look like that. Despite being set in the 60's during the Vietnam war, the film is shockingly relevant to us today.
This is one for you to check out and one for me to add to my personal collection. Oh and let's not forget that you'll want to own the soundtrack! This is such a great and tasteful remakes of some of the Beatles' greatest songs.

No comments: