Saturday, February 2, 2008

Good Luck Chuck

"Good Luck Chuck"
Directed by Mark Helfrich

Okay, I like movies and I usually like to look for the good in all films. I do this because usually there is some good things to even the worst films-not always, but a lot of times. I'm aware that most of my reviews are fairly positive, so I'm going to throw you a negative one here and I know there are those that will disagree with me. That's okay, though. What fun would life be if we all saw eye to eye?
I'll start with the blunt and non-sophisticated response...I thought "Good Luck Chuck" would have been more aptly named "You Suck Chuck".
I liked Dane Cook in "Employee of the Month," it was wicked funny. Here, though, painfully short on funny. A promiscuous, horn-ball, man whore? Yes. Funny? Not a chance.
I also usually like Jessica Alba. Yeah, yeah, some of that's because she's beautiful, but I also like her disposition on screen. In this film, however, at best she was cute...not funny, mind you, just simply cute.
There was moderate chemistry between Cook and Alba which is more than I can say for the writers. They obviously thought that more boobies equals more laughs. Not the case. More boobies equals...well, more boobies, which is nothing but trash when it's done for the sake of shock value, cheap laughs, and exploitation. Countless directors have done nudity tatefully and with class. Helfrich, however, did not seemed to be concerned with taste or class.
In short...I hated this film and would have rather spent the hour and a half sawing my arm off with a dull piece of scarp metal. You would have a lot more fun going to an airport terminal and yelling "BOMB!" at the top of your lungs. Don't waste your time, since it is precious.
Don't be deceived by the trailer. Remember the job of the trailer guy is to make the film look appealing.
Not funny:


Funny:

No comments: