Monday, February 4, 2008

My Final Thoughts This Football Season

I don't know if any of you noticed this today, but it was raining? You know why? Because God was weeping over New England's loss last night.
Seriously, though, I want to share some thoughts to complete this season. A couple of random thoughts first: My son was told on the buss today that the Patriots suck. This is of course a completely assanine statement. A team doesn't suck because they lose any game. My son repsonded with a perfectly valid anwser from one who is upset by the loss of his team. He said, "New York cheated." Bravo, son! The boy then hit Thomas over the head with his book bag. Not cool! And since my son suffers from the same condition I do (the I-am-too-nice-syndrome) he didn't say or do anything about it. Neither did the bus driver. It seems as thought I'm going to have to teach my son to throw a good right hook or jab or something.
The second thought is this: My phone rang three times last night after the game. I was in bed with a fever (I was physically sick for reasons not involving the game) so I didn't answer it. I got the messages this morning. Those that know me well know better than to call and harrass me over a New England loss. One friend tried to call this morning and I didn't answer because I was in bed. He messaged me and said "I'm not calling to make fun of you, I just wanted to chat." There's a guy who knows me. He also said the last time he gave a hard time I cussed at him. Very possible since I'm pretty dang passionate about my football. At any rate one of my friends, whom I have gotten to know better in the last year hasn't learned this lesson yet and left a voice mail for me saying, "I just called to give you a hard time about the super bowl! Love you, man." I know he's just playing, but I don't think it's funny. I'm funny that way and I would never do that to someone.
At any rate...
So let's look at this season. Are the Giants the best team in the NFL because they won the Super Bowl? Is the Super Bowl anything more than an over-the-top hyped up regular game? Do the Pats suck because they lost the Super Bowl?
I think the bowl game is over hyped and too long because of those friggin' commercials. That's just my opinion and I know that some of this may sound like a dissappointed fan talking...maybe it is a little, but I think you'll find some truth here. What was the Pats record for this season? Counting the loss of the SB they finished at 18-1. The Giants were 10-6. A flash in the pan who lucked out against Green Bay. And they had some lucky calls and plays last night as well. for example: The I'm almost sacked, throw it up because I think I'm a Brett Favre god and fortunately it doesn't get picked by #22. So, sure I would rather have gone 19-0 with a fourth SB title or I would have rather lost a regular season game and won the SB. Which by the way still would have looked like this: 18-1. But, it goes without argument that the Pats were by far the most superior team consistantly in the NFL this season. I dare you to try to argue that. How many team and NFL records did the Giants break this season? I think they were like the third wild care team ever to win a SB. And...? How may did NE break? Right, I lost count too.
Will NE be back in the runnings next season? You better count on it. So just like brother Peyton, Eli is a flash in the pan one SB wonder who may go back, but it won't be next year. And yes, there was a little bitterness in those words, because now the Giants have become the second team on my list of teams that I hate and will root against no matter who they play.
I've never been a cocky fan who thinks his team is undefeatable and I never will be. You'll never hear me give someone a hard time (unless of course they give it to me first) because their team lost. I'm bitter, yes, but I'm a good sport. That is why I'm venting here.
Lastly, Tom Brady is still the best looking quarter back in the NFL.
Until next season...Peace out

No comments: