Saturday, January 9, 2010

Day one in L.A.

I'm not going to lie. The sprawling apartment complex I'm in is enough to intimidate me. Trying to remember where everything is and it all looks the same. It's nice and I've met some great people. My roommates all seem on the level, so that's an answer to prayer.
We drove into town this morning to get our room assignments, etc. It was cool seeing the Hollywood sign on the mountain as we drove down into the town. We arrived at the apartment complex, The Park at La Brea and, for the first time, got lost within the complex. Anyway, all is good and we found our respective apartments. I took some time getting moved in, thought my key wasn't working, turns out I'm silly and just wasn't pulling the door toward me hard enough as I turned the key. Whatever :-)
David, Ben, and I went to lunch with some Asbury alums at "In and Out Burger." It was quite tasty, but was the busiest place that I have ever seen. So busy, in fact, that I gave up trying to fight through crowds to get ketchup. It was a fun experience and the alum assure me that after a week or so I'll have a handle on the layout of the complex and the town. Let's hope they're right. Classes, shopping, food (although I plan to eat in) are all within walking distance, so that's nice.
Today was the Sabbath and it was a new experience for me to see so many Jews dressed up, some in their "robes," leaving the synagogues. Very neat.
One thing that is also pretty fun is seeing billboard after billboard for different movies. Super fun.
I plan on taking some pictures tomorrow of the neighborhood and my apartment. I'll post them on face book, so keep an eye out for them.
So far I'm batting 1000 on this current update thing. We'll see how long that lasts :-)

No comments: