Friday, January 15, 2010

Day six in L.A.

I can't believe that an entire week has nearly passed. Only fifteen more to go :-) Just kidding...I'm having a great time. Missing my family, but having a great time nonetheless. So, day six...hhhhmmmmm...had our morning session with a couple in the morning that have created a network for Christians in the film industry. They had some good things to say and it was an interesting session. A lot of practical tips for working in this industry.
So, after that I spent the afternoon working on my resume and talking to my parents, filling them in on the happenings here in L.A. Then, had a camera lab from 3-5, which was primarily just a review since the cameras we're using here are similar in functionality to the cameras we use at Asbury. Except...these cameras don't shoot in true 24 frames per second. What!? I know...they assure us that it still looks great. We'll see :-) Before the lab, however, I got a little thingy in my mail box telling me that I had been selected to to go to the next round of the selection process for choosing directors for the five main projects that we'll do this semester. So, that was cool and flattering. Next Tuesday I have to show what I consider to be the my "best" piece that I've directed. I talked with Lori and David about which one to use and well all seem to agree that that is "The Power Within," which many of you will have to wait until May to see. Sorry about that. Anyway...afterwards I had a good little conversation with Jeremy, one of the instructors, yeah...so that was good.
The highlight of my day here (other than talking with my lovely wife and fantastically, amazing children) was getting to meet Doug Jones. Before I go any further, for those of you who may not know, Doug has been in several big movies...the ones that people are usually most familiar with are Hellboy, Pan's Labyrinth, and Fantastic Four: The Rise of the Silver Surfer. Here's his IMDB page link: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0427964/ You'll be surprised at what all he's been in. There were films I had seen but had no idea he had been in them.
At any rate...We listened to him share his story and experiences for almost three hours. We laughed, laughed, and interacted, and had a great time. Doug is one of the funniest and most down to earth, genuine guys I've met. I watched him afterwards as he interacted with the other students and he took time with each one and made them feel important and special. Too cool. So, needless to say it was a fantastic experience.
Then it was off to the apartment to work on a paper that I should have done earlier in the day...se la vi...It was pretty simple. A couple pages about me and my expectations for the semester. Oh! funny story: Okay, so because my sense of humor is slightly off center I think it's fun to say off the wall things in a group of new people and see how they respond. So, the first time my Motion Picture Production group met, before the instructors arrived, someone asked about what needed to be included in our Expectations paper. Another guy says, "What do you hope to accomplish while you're here in L.A.?" He, of course, wasn't actually looking for anyone to answer, but I did anyway. "Instant success and fame, lots of sex and drugs." I got several shocked and blank stares. "That's a joke, people." Then I got some nervous chuckles...it was awesome. The instructors arrived and to my delight had an eerily similar sense of humor :-) Ok, that's all.

No comments: