Thursday, January 7, 2010

L.A. Trip Days One and Two

My goal is to keep this blog updated on a regular basis, but I'm not making any promises :-)
We left Kentucky on Wednesday morning, drove through Indiana, Illinois, Missouri, and arrived in Oklahoma City later that night. We got a decent nights sleep and headed out again Thursday morning. We drove through some more of Oklahoma, which isn't much to speak about from a visual stand point...although they had rest stops that stretched across the highway. Cool.
The thing that stood out to me about Oklahoma would have to be all the signs for different Cherokee products: handmade goods, etc. My initial thought was, "cool!" since I have a little trace of Cherokee in my family. Then I thought about it some more, called my brother to confirm my thought, and realized that the Cherokee people were, of course, not indigenous to Oklahoma. They are there now because that is where they were relocated when they were moved from their homeland. The Trail of Tears. Then I was more sobered by the history of the place I was driving through.
Then we went through a bit of Texas. Other than the "Biggest cross in this hemisphere: a spiritual experience you'll never forget" nothing was really any bigger in Texas. Oh well. I did see two signs that I particularly enjoyed: "Catholic Superstore" and the "Jesus Christ Is Lord (not a swear word) Travel Plaza."
Around Amarillo I was really digging on the landscape and really wanted to stop and shoot a western then and there, but everyone else wanted to keep going. Oh well again :-)
I fell in love with New Mexico. What an absolutely beautiful state. I wish I had been able to stop and take it all in. Maybe on the drive back? I was so taken with the breathtaking landscape and the beauty of the people there I was sad when we crossed into Arizona. I may have enjoyed the scenery there too, but the sun had set and all I could see were the cars around me and the white lines passing me by.
We are now at the hotel in Flagstaff, Arizona and have seen our first road signs for L.A. We're all getting pretty excited. We've driven a little over 1600 miles in two days and have several more to go. We plan to see the Grand Canyon tomorrow morning and then get into L.A. later in the evening.
I will try to keep you all posted on the events.
Thanks to all of you for your love, support, and prayers.

No comments: